Electric motors are available to suit most conveying applications. Electric Motors have multiple variables to consider when making a selection. Understanding the terms used with electric motors is important to making a selection.
Basic Electric Motor Terms:
- Horsepower: Determined by the equipment requirements, total load, operating conditions, and speed.
- Voltage: The voltage of a motor is determined by the supply to which it is attached. The common voltages are 115, 200, 208, 230, 460, 575.
- Phase: The most common power supplies are either single- or three-phase.
- Common Motor Types: Totally Enclosed(TE), Totally Enclosed Non-Ventilated(TENV), Energy Efficient (EE or XL), or Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled (TEFC).
- Cycles: 60 Hz (cycles per second) AC power is common throughout the US and 50 Hz is common in many foreign countries.