Managing an Effective Warehouse Operation
This is a plug for WERC’s upcoming seminar, “Achieving Warehouse Success: Your Comprehensive Guide to Managing an Effective Operation.” Warehousing requires expertise on 3 basic resources — space, equipment, and labor. Understanding how to integrate them for maximum effectiveness can transform any warehousing operation. The seminar is 3 days (October 14-16 in Long Beach, California). According to WERC, it will cover the following aspects of warehousing:
- How to identify the precise problems that are most troublesome in your warehouse
- Which operations require your attention and how to prioritize work demands
- Why leadership and communication skills are important to managing people, boosting morale, and solving labor/management conflicts
- How to lay out your warehouse for good space utilization, material handling compatibility, and optimum flow efficiency
- Which equipment and technology best suit your operations for storage and handling as well as order picking and order selection
WERC’s site says that it is good for Newly appointed supervisors and managers of warehouse, stockroom, storeroom and distribution centers, Supervisors and managers with little or no formal training, Plant storeroom, inventory, and materials managers, Stores, receiving, and shipping supervisors, or others who are interested in understanding the warehouse. It’s $975 for members, and $1,100 for nonmembers. Check it out at the WERC site if you are interested.
Scott Stone Cisco-Eagle's Director of Marketing. He has over 25 years of experience in the industry.