P.E. Seals and Calcs – what they are, and why you need them on mezzanine projects
When you’re working on a mezzanine (or work platform) project, you may be provided P.E. seals and calculations. Here’s why you will get these elements…
What are P.E. Seals and Calcs?
- Calculations are a hard copy document of the checks of the mezzanine structural components
- Seals are a stamp placed on the calculations and drawings certifying that a state registered Professional Engineer (P.E.) has made or reviewed them
Who & Why might you need them?
- To obtain building permits municipalities may require them
- Required by municipality plan checkers to review for code compliance
- The end user may require them to certify review of the structure
- Some companies require them for their records
What is included?
- 3 copies of the drawings and calculations (normal)
- All with a P.E. seal for the state that the mezzanine will be installed
Scott Stone is Cisco-Eagle's Marketing Director with three decades of experience in material handling, warehousing and industrial operations. He writes on automation, warehousing, safety, manufacturing and other areas of concern for industrial operations.